Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lake Coffee

I grew up next to the heartbeat of Minnesota summer: lake country.  My little hometown swells in population to twice to four times its size, depending on the weekend, during the summer months.  Summertime would be the only time the town would decided it needed to move a little faster than normal; but not ever faster than the average vacationer.

When fall came around, it would settle into its comfortable rhythm again.  And when the snow started falling, it hunkered down further into a cozy hibernation.  In its winter snoozing, dreams of spring (which means mud) and summer sunshine made the frigid temperatures bearable.  My little town dreams, lives, and loves the summer lake rhythm.

Coffee at my parent's house became known as "lake coffee"; and had a very different attitude from its urban counterpart which I usually partake in.  Lake coffee was brewed in the morning by my mother.  It wakes up the house with its bright aromas.  It's usually lighter roast, not as strong as urban coffee, served in earthenware mugs, made by artisans locally.  Lake coffee is refreshed throughout the day, pot after pot. It's primary purpose is to be the medium over which my family will visit over, relax with, and SLOW DOWN from its other days pace.

I once was checking my email (mistake) at my folks house when I put a mug of lovely Lake Coffee on the armchair which was engulfing me (also mistake).  When I got up to move (3rd mistake) I bumped it, causing it to spill dangerously close to my parent's laptop.

Which of course, got me moving quicker towards a towel to mop up the mess, now running unto the carpeted floors.  My mom, on the other hand, kept up her slower pace.  Assuring me it was just coffee.  Just carpet.  Just a computer.  She was more worried on what I had spilled on my pajamas.  Which I was, because of the spill, forced to change out of at noon-thirty.

How is it that coffee in two different contexts can be a medium for two different purposes: urban=speed up, wake up and up-and-at-them.  It's fast, grabbed on the go.  Rural=slow down, make small talk, catch up, connect, and make it meaningful.  The attitude behind the connection is completely different.  And often, so is the quality of the day.  I wonder how to make my urban coffee more like the sweet-homeyness of Lake Coffee.... Makes me a touch homesick just considering it.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE this. I want Lake Coffee more often. Actually, I NEED Lake Coffee more often. Miss seeing you, but love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well put!! Love reading your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent and so true my dear. I have "prairie coffee" which is brewed (pot after pot) by my father... but the purpose (and the artisan mugs) is much the same.

    My days this year, I am blessed to say, are full of "Lake Coffee" - sipped casually until noon, often in my pajamas, as I study Spanish, journal, read, and the like.

    I do not miss my urban coffee... though a good Caribou caramel latte would certainly be welcomed... but only if paired with a good friend and two hours of conversation. ;) One needs to ease back into these sorts of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! So true. I think that "lake coffee" has to be enjoyed away from home and the daily grind in order to get that separation/dual purpose. I always feel guilty and have trouble lingering over coffee at home, but it's easier in a different, homey atmosphere. I was just talking to Robin (who told me to read this :-) and said that I've never really had the "lake coffee" effect at my parents house, but "Stennes house coffee" sounds like the same thing! (Or "Perkins coffee", with the right company!)
    Loving the blog - keep it up! :-)

    ReplyDelete