Monday, March 11, 2013

When Coffee is free, and Tow Trucks are not

Remember all those lovely things I said about Minnesota snowstorms last week?  I take some of them back and add this caveat: travelling in wintry weather, stinks.

Also, I found a friendly gas station outside Elbow Lake, when I brought up a just-filled up coffee cup the kindly high school kid behind the counter told me, "we don't charge for coffee here".  Could have hugged him.  Who would have guessed the unexpected blessing of a free cup of coffee with a side order of small talk.


I was still sipping that free coffee and hanging unto its good feelings as I was waiting for the tow truck in the ditch on the banks of Flekkefjord Lake.  Snow was pouring unto my windshield, making the road more impassable every minute.  I was berating myself for my poor winter driving skills, grace for myself came in every free coffee sip.  These things happen, after all.  Begrudgingly I (sip) was reminded that this is the second tow truck I needed in the last two days.  If only tow trucks were as gracious as free gas station coffee.  Tow trucks should have punch cards.  After four tows, the fifth one is free.  And these should be recognized by all tow trucks everywhere.  I should design a business plan (sip) for more gracious towing.  Then again, the guy with the fifth tow, I would be robbing him of part of his livelihood and the way in which he supports his family.  And I can't imagine its an easy job, (sip) meeting up with people who have met with misfortune, adrenaline and  frustration coursing through their veins making mostly nice people into insensitive jerks.  They should get paid for that.  

I sighed.  Waved at the kindly police officer parked on the side of the road.  Soon, my tow truck deliverer arrived.  Leaving my Grace Coffee in its cup holder; I donned my red stocking cap, pulled on blue mittens and stepped into wet snow drift up to my hip.  Tow Man #2 smiled at me and asked, "You got 50 bucks?"  Sighing again, I wrote out my check, and dreamed of tow truck punch cards while looking for other signs of lived-out graciousness in this wet-snowy landscape.    

No comments:

Post a Comment